Saturday, 8 February 2014

Recursion - The Complexity of Simplicity

After this week's lecture on recursion and having learned about the recursive code for solving the tower of hanoi problem, I found myself fascinated by the simplicity of the code. Personally, I found it astonishing how such a small amount of code was capable of solving the tower of hanoi problem given the fact that the number of cheeses involved could be infinite. Although understandably the tower of hanoi is perhaps one of the simplest problems solved with recursion, I feel as though it is quite an eye opener, as it exhibits the immense capabilities of programming and the limitless potential of computers through simple yet complicated processes such as recursion. Learning about recursion has inspired me to motivate myself into doing extensive research when confronting future programming problems and assignments; I believe that in doing so I may just stumble upon things such as recursion which I hope to share with those who may not know of them. This has also served as a reminder to me that it is important to always keep in mind that "laziness" is key to being a programmer and that perhaps it is indeed true that simplicity is bliss.

1 comment:

  1. As a programmer I won't agree that 'laziness' is key to being a programmer but totally agree that simplicity is bliss...

    ReplyDelete